Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apple A Day: Apple Pie in an Apple


Earlier this month, some of us from my church went apple picking.  Knowing that I was going to want to make lots of things with apples,  I went for the largest bag they had which was half a bushel. I would have gotten more but i soon realized that meant I had to carry more.  

Since then I have been trying as hard as I can to try various recipes and ideas using the apples.  My first recipe to share is Apple Pie in the Apple.  Its actually really easy and fun.  Its a great recipe to impress guests with or just to make individual servings for your family, roommates, etc.



What you need:

  • Granny Smith or similar apples that can stand on their own (1 for each person)
  • Cinnamon
  • Sugar
  • Brown sugar
  • Pie Crust (Pre-made or Make Your Own)
Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.



Cut the top of the apple off and discard. Remove the inside of the apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully.  I used a rounded teaspoon. Use all of the inside of the apple that you can but be careful with walls of apples as they may become weak.  Break out the core and throw away.



Remove skin from apples with apple peeler. 


Mix apple guts with sugars and cinnamon (to taste) in a bowl. 


Scoop apple mixture into hollow apples.


Using the crust, create a top for your apples.  I used a cookie cutter and cut a heart out for the tops.  You can also create a lattice type look by cutting crusting to 1/4 inch strips.  This is your chance to be creative.

Place apples in a pan.  Some recipes suggest covering the bottom of the pan with water.  I did not do this and they turned out great.

Wrap with foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and cook 10-15 more minutes or until crust is golden brown.


Drizzle with caramel sauce or scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.  Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...